Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Glass Chore Chart

Today is a beautiful day in sunny Arizona! Despite the wonderful weather outside, I will be inside cleaning because I've put it off for way too long....aaand I'm super forgetful. I estimate that since getting pregnant I've probably lost about 50% of my short term memory, some days it's more like 80%. So, I've determined to get organized!

Being new to this wonderful Wife/Mommy world I've found I need a few things to keep up. I've never really used a planner, never kept a calendar, never had to! I had a great memory! I'll even admit that I used to laugh a little at those Moms that would say "Yeah, hold on, just let me check my appointment book. No, can't do it we've got ballet, soccer, etc." Now I think to myself "Wow, check out how organized those Moms were!"
This is me today: "Yeah, I'll totally be there to that youth activity, and we can use my car to drop off the kids." That day: --------(crickets chirping) no me. 'Cause I forgot again!!! And the next day: Hey I better get to that activity. Umm...that's not today, is it? AAaahhh!
I feel like I have CFS (Chronic Flake Syndrome).

So.... I got a little pocket planner from Wal-Mart and I check it at least 4 or 5 times a day just to see what I'm forgetting. And for my sadly ignored house (aka: apartment) I made this:



I've seen this idea a couple times on blogland, but I don't remember exactly where. It was a plain frame from the dollar store and now it's a dry erase chore board for me! Here's how I made it.



Took one of the plain unpainted wood frames from the dollar store and painted it satin white on my painting pyramids (love those things!).

While that was drying I cut out little strips of some extra fabric I had. They're probably 2.5 x 0.5 inches. I left them frayed and tied a little not in the middle. Now they're cute little rag bows!

Hot glued them in the corners. (I made 8 bows and only used 6) I did put three in the top left corner and one in the rest of the corners. I kinda liked the Wabisabi (something I heard on King of the Hill, not sure if it's real. Haha, love that show!). It means the off-balance, or defect makes it more beautiful.

The is the actual chart, in case you wanted to see what was on there. Yes, I have to put almost everything! The font is "Alice in Wonderland" (from the new movie). The saying at the top is from the Doctrine and Covenants, that is an added section to the Book of Mormon. My favorite book :)

I felt it was still a little plain so I took two strands of matching thread and hot glued them between each of the bows, down the frame. Just to add a little color.

Added some magnet strips to the back, 'cause the kitchen is probably the room I go through the most, so the fridge is a good place for me to be sure and see it everyday.

Voila!

Frame: $1
Fabric Scraps: On hand
 Spray Paint: On hand
Hot Glue: On hand
Thread: On hand
New Dry-Erase Marker (from the looks of it, I really need a new one): $1 (will buy today)

Total: $2
Love it!!!
P.S. - I highly recommend little planners ;)



Linking up to:

Visit thecsiproject.com

7 comments:

  1. that looks so cute! the real test would be to see it actually helps my kids get things done.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I'm wondering if I can make one for my husband... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is great! I have heard about doing this and I am sure it will be on my Craft to do list:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought I commented! Love this -- a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need one of these! Love it!


    Thanks so much for linking up to the CSI Project! We really appreciate it. I hope you will come back next week for our Hardware Store challenge!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this. BTW: What are the numbers next to your items to do?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love feedback! Really, say anything :)

People come'n and goin'

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP